Welcome to the SEND Remote Learning page. My name is Philip Saxton and I am your school SENDCo. Please take some time to look through the resources available on this webpage and feel free to use them to support your child/children at home. These are not designed to replace any work your child’s class teacher has instructed but rather to enhance and support any learning differences or barriers your child may have.
I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for all your support and collaboration during these difficult times. You are all doing an amazing job!
At St John Fisher we believe that children are best supported when teachers and parents work in partnership so please feel free to contact your class teacher or myself to ask for any support.
Speed Spelling Intervention
Watch the video and download the resources to support you and your child in completing your very own spelling intervention!
Learning to read is about listening and understanding as well as working out what’s printed on the page. Through hearing stories, children are exposed to a wide range of words. This helps them build their own vocabulary and improve their understanding when they listen, which is vital as they start to read. The importance of reading for children cannot be underestimated. Reading for pleasure can benefit a child’s education, social and cognitive development, their wellbeing, and their mental health.
See video link for ways you can support your child with reading at home.
- https://classroom.thenational.academy/specialist/subjects/numeracy Oak academy lessons to support children with additional needs in specific areas of maths.
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/ipad-apps-for-learners-with-dyscalculianumeracy-difficulties/ iPad Apps for Learners with Dyscalculia/Numeracy Difficulties
- https://www.easyreadtimeteacher.com/teacher-classroom-resources/ resources to support teaching to tell the time
- https://www.weareteachers.com/active-math-games/ active games to support maths learning
- https://www.didax.com/math/virtual-manipulatives.html virtual physical resources to help children understand maths, cubes, tens frames, number lines, bead strings, and many more!
At St John Fisher we use the letter-join handwriting scheme. There is a home log-in available for children to use the website which has lots of resources. If you would like it emailing to you please let your class teacher know. Please familiarise yourself with how we teach Handwriting at St John Fisher so you can better support your child.
Watch the video and download the resource to support you and your child in completing your very own handwriting intervention!
Handwriting sheets for downloading
There is a home log-in available for children to use the website which has lots of resources. If you would like it emailing to you please let me know.
Here are all of the handwriting sheets that you can download and use at home.
High Frequency Words
Sentences using harder words
Social, Emotional and Mental Health Resources and Weblinks
- https://www.elsa-support.co.uk/category/free-resources/ A range of resources, games etc. to support different areas of mental health; anxiety, anger, emotions, mindfulness etc.
- https://managing-change.middletownautism.com/ resources aimed at autistic pupils, but could be used with others to support change, particularly around COVID 19.
- https://www.autismlittlelearners.com/search/label/My%20Freebies?updated-max=2020-07-05T17:59:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=20&by-date=false A range of social stories and resources around a lot of different life issues, including COVID 19, that can be used to support children’s understanding.
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/ipad-apps-for-complex-communication-support-needs/ iPad Apps for Complex Communication Support Needs
- https://www.bookofbeasties.com/ Create a free account to access certain activities and resources to support mindfulness and well-being.
- https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/learning-at-home/games-skillbuilders/social-emotional-activities-for-children a selection of games to play to build children’s social and emotional awareness
- Read the Worry Glass with your child to help them understand the impact of holding onto worries.
See this document for a Coronavirus Social Story. Share with children regularly to ease their worries and anxieties.
See document for a Coronavirus Child Friendly Booklet. Complete the activities with your child.
A simple video showing the importance of social distancing for children and young adults https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdY5cDbS-GA
Free eBook: Everybody Worries by Jon Burgerman – In this bright and friendly picture book, children learn that it’s okay to worry about coronavirus. Fun rhyming couplets keep the tone gentle and supportive, and you will find plenty of ideas for dealing with coronavirus in a positive way. Everybody Worries offers your child the reassuring message that this crisis will pass, we are there for them, and we will get through this together. https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/bookshop/jon-burgerman-everybody-worries-free-ebook/
Coronavirus linked to your wellbeing https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/
Talking to your child about coronavirus https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/talking-to-your-child-about-coronavirus/
Click on this link to access The Oak National Academy resources for young people with Speech and Language Difficulties.